Monday, February 4, 2013

Mango Chutney

I love the chutney's they serve at Indian restaurants and I wanted to have some at home for serving with fish, chips, tofu, etc. I didn't want to buy it in a jar from the grocery store. So, I went recipe-hopping on the internet until I found one that looked suitable and made some adjustments. For example, I removed the garlic. Not a big fan.

The ingredients:
2 Large Ripe Mangoes, cut into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces
1/2 White Onion, diced
1/2 C Firmly Packed Brown Sugar CORRECTION: I used raw sugar
1/4 C Crystallized Ginger, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 C White Vinegar
1 T Olive oil
Pinch of Red-Pepper Flake

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, cook the onion and the mango in the olive oil until the onions are translucent (but not brown). Add the other ingredients, stir well, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every so often. Watch it closely at the end of the cooking time. The somewhat liquid mixture quickly becomes quite thick. This recipe makes about 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment